This is a journal of my journey to the 2012 London Olympics. The highs, the lows, the good times, the bad times, the fast times and the not so fast (slow) times. The new challenges that lay ahead and the people around me during those times are the enjoyable things I look forward to.

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Normality of Life

Its great to be back at home spending time with my lovely wife and beuatiful three children who are now 6, 3 and 2. Being able to have breakfast with them, take the eldest to school, spending time with them throughout the day and of an afternoon and even being at home when they go to bed. This is a luxury that I didn't have alot of while preparing for Beijing. I'm really enjoying it, even though it can be dirty hard work changing nappies etc!!

Speaking of hard work, its great having grandparents near by. Both sets do a marvellous job when it comes to babysitting!! Thanks to both sets of grandparents, we are able to go out and do things as a couple, head away for a night or more or even simple things like while I'm training or at work, allowing Belinda to get out to an appointment here and there. Judy (Belindas mum) put her hand up to look after the kids while Eugene (Belindas dad), my parents, my bro and sis all came to Beijing to cheer me on. Thanks Judy, great job.

Many people ask what the best part of the games were. Apart from the race itself and performing under the circumstances, I must say it was simply celebrating the win with not only Drew, but the family and friends we had there.....our georgous wives (Belinda and Melanie), my parents (Reg and Helen), brother and sister (Marcus and Anita), Belindas father (Eugene), and my cousin Jason and his wife Krystal. Drews father Dennis and his grandmother were also there along with friends Simon and Hannah who Belinda and Mel stayed with while in Beijing. Thanks guys for coming, you all being there made it so much better!!

Well Drew had surgery on his back on Friday which went well. Even though he can't do much at all for the next 6 weeks or so, he is recovering well and the surgery gave the instant pain relief that was needed. Looking at the scans and seeing the disc problem, its amazing that he was able to block out the pain and get on with the job for all of our three races....I have to admit at the time I was not showing too much sympathy for Drew and tryed to ignore the injury as much as I could. Not because I have no heart, but becuase I didn't want any other option than for us to race together as per normal and for us to put down a great performance. I'm pretty sure that was Drew's mindset aswell. Its amazing how strong the mind is and the control it has over the body. As Drew put it.....you only have to block the pain signal from the injured area to the brain....simple!! Drew being as focused and as mentally tough as he is, nothing was going to stop that man!!!

He is now resting up at home and I believe preparing for London 2012!!!! :)

No comments: