This is a journal of my journey to the 2012 London Olympics. The highs, the lows, the good times, the bad times, the fast times and the not so fast (slow) times. The new challenges that lay ahead and the people around me during those times are the enjoyable things I look forward to.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Melbourne Training Camp

Last week we arrived home from Melbourne after a two week training camp. I took the family with me to Melbourne which was great to have them with there while training rather intensely for two weeks. It’s always great having them with me while I travel for rowing; it makes it much easier for me. At the same time we get to travel away together and have somewhat of a holiday.

We stayed in a great location not far from the Yarra River for training and basically right on Chapel Street. I must congratulate Belinda on her shopping behaviours, the credit card was still in tact when we got home. Well done honey!! Danica, Zara and Luca also enjoyed the trip and change of scenery enjoying the Ferris wheel, the tram rides, trips to the parks, science works museum (http://museumvictoria.com.au/Scienceworks/ ) and the outings for ice creams, Melbourne cuisine and pancakes at Southbank.

Anyway, the training was not too bad most of the time. Unfortunately we had a few interruptions including para – tendonitis of my achillis tendon. It’s an overuse injury that’s been going on for over a month now but trying to manage it the best I can. Today I had my second cortisone injection that will hopefully knock it on its head. They really flooded the area to give it the best chance of healing. I must say I’m looking forward to getting back into full training again. For the past week or two I’ve only been able to manage about a 60-70% work load. I must say I miss our typical day of a 100km bike ride, a gym session and a 15-20km row….. Got to love the hard work!!! Although the training camp started out reasonable well with some solid training, I didn’t quite get what I wanted out of the two weeks. Drew and I set ourselves high standards and when we don’t reach our own expectations it can get quite frustrating and sometimes as a response we can unintentionally take it out on each other or on those around us. I try not to bring those frustrations home. To keep the best balance in my life, I try to keep my rowing and my emotions (particularly the negative emotions) separate to my family life.

Many people frequently ask how I can train like I have in one sport for so long. I actually enjoy the challenges of hard physical training and also combining the finesse of moving the rowing boat through the water. Who can complain of up to 30 hours a week of committed, purposeful training for a sport??

Anyway, I’m believing my tendonitis will improve over the next week so I can get back in training as we leave for our European tour on the 11th May for three weeks and racing in the Lucern World Cup in Switzerland on 30th May – 1st June. Sorry Belinda (I leave on Mothers Day!!)

Thank you for your support and prayers it’s a great feeling to know people are with you.

2 comments:

The Pampuchs said...

Hi Duncs,
Nice blog. It's a great layout and good to hear how the preparation is coming along for Beijing.
All the best in Lucerne!

Lachie Joseph said...

Duncan!
Your blog hardly does credit to the hard yards you've put into this journey. If you want any advice on how to tote your achievements, you know who to ask. haha.

With warm wishes for you and your family,

Lachie